Do’s and Don’ts for Thanksgiving
The day after Thanksgiving is the busiest day of the year for plumbers. To prevent you from having to add a plumber to your guest list this long weekend Power Plumbing has compiled a survival guide to get you through the holiday trouble-free.
- Dump grease down the drain (grease will harden in the pipes the same way that it does in the pan overnight)
- Force large amounts of food down the disposal at once
- Put celery down the disposal, it's very stringy and hard on the blades
- Put any kind of bones down the disposal
- Put starchy foods like potatoes, rice and pasta down the disposal as they will swell and clog the drain
- Put coffee grinds down the drain. They appear to go down fine but actually get stuck in the trap and will eventually clog your drain.
- Rinse greasy plates in hot water
- Be sure to keep the water flowing while using the disposal
- Run hot water down the drain for 60 seconds to flush through any grease stuck in the trap
- Mix equal parts vinegar and baking soda and pour down the drain. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse with hot water to eliminate any odours.
Follow these tips to prevent having plumbing issues during the holiday. We will still accept invitations to Thanksgiving dinner, though!
And don't forget about our post 10 Things You Should Never Flush Down the Toilet!